ELL – English Language Learner Team
About the ELL Program
ELL services provided assist students with limited English skills to function in the regular English-speaking classroom, to develop proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in English, and to develop knowledge about the customs and culture of the school, community, and nation. Program leaders, coaches, teachers, and liaisons are helpful in facilitating resource information about many cultures and languages in the community.
ELL services are provided district wide.
ELL Program Goals:
- Teaches students listening, speaking, reading and writing in English.
- Helps students to develop important knowledge in many subject areas.
- Teaches students strategies necessary for success in other curriculum areas.
- Orients students to the culture of the school and community.
- Helps students maintain respect for their culture and use of their first language.
In order to meet this goal, the district:
- Identifies students who may be limited English proficient
- Assesses their English language proficiency
- Provides a program of services to meet their language and academic needs
- Involves parents or guardians in the education of their children
- Assists in fostering a culture of learning that values and is responsive to the diverse backgrounds of the students and their families
- Provides support to staff in their acquisition and use of specific knowledge, skills and strategies for English Language Learners
Level 1: Students with no or limited English language skills
Level 2: Students at the beginning level of English language skills
Level 3: Students at the intermediate level of English language skills
Level 4: Students at intermediate-advanced level of English language skills
Level 5: Students at the advanced English language skills